Friday, June 6, 2008

Cooking

So, I'm not much of a cooker or baker. I'm all for the fast and easy macaroni and cheese in a box, or hamburger helper. Anything frozen that I just have to pop in the oven is fantastic! But I've decided to change my ways and start cooking good, healthy meals. It's been so fun and so hard! First of all, it's way cheaper to buy ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese than it is to buy other stuff, and they're way easier to make. But I'm learning to buy cheap brands and stuff that I can use in everything. I was surprised to find that even though I seem to be buying more, my grocery bills have almost decreased. And me and Cody feel tons better about what we're eating. We eat more salads and spaghetti and chicken and rice, you know, stuff I should always be making cause it's easy and healthy! Well, Cody's mom gave me this recipe for buttermilk biscuits and they turned out great! I was very proud of myself so here is a picture of the finished product. :)Don't they look delicious?
I have also been recieving the Kraft foods magazine and I absolutely love it! They always have really good recipes and are really easy to make. I especially love their summer and fall issues because they always seem to have the best recipes. Cody is a huge barbeque sauce fan so I'm always looking for good recipes that include some barbeque sauce. I found these really good hamburgers in the Kraft magazine that have barbeque sauce in them. I kind of revised their recipe but they are so delicious! We make them a lot now. At first Cody was really skeptical but now he asks for them alot.
All you do is take 1lb of hamburger meat and mix it with 1/4 of an onion, a 1/2 c. shredded cheese ( any kind you want, I use chedder cheese) and 2 to 3 T. of barbeque sauce. ( we really like the Sweet Baby Rays brand, actually, Cody won't let me buy any other brand!). Then you shape them into patties and cook them. I actually cook them on the stove because we don't have a grill. While I'm cooking them I put a little bit of barbeque sauce on the top and then turn them over to cook on the other side. Then I put more barbeque sauce on that side. Then you just put them on a hamburger bun with lettuce and enjoy! They are so delicious! I know they sound really easy, because they are! Remember? I'm all about easy. Anyway, if anyone knows of any more easy, really good recipes, please let me know! I'm sure I'll be posting more of the recipes that we really love! So, give it a try and let me know if you like them!




2 Comments:

Shannon Allen said...

Way to go Erika! I'm a nut about cooking! What is that recipe you had for those biscuits? They look yummy. If they are easy- then I'm all for it!

Camille said...

YAY!!!! Your biscuits look great! I bet Cody's excited you know how to make them! Your hamburgers look yummy, too...we'll have to try those!