Thursday, March 11, 2010

Life lessons through the eyes of Erika

*aka* one LONG post. I gave you fair warning.

 As I was driving home last night, I wrote the best post in my head.
Now.... I can't remember a word. Blast.

You see, that's why I haven't posted in... well, awhile. I write out ( in my head of course) posts and then forget about them the next day or I think that I've already written it so it doesn't need to be said. I'm working on it.

I've been contimplating a lot lately about a plethora of things, (don't you love the word plethora? I do.)
and I feel like I've done a lot of growing up. Well, hopefully anyway. 

I am retaking two classes this semester because of a failing grade. Not just any failing grade... but an E. 
Doesn't that letter just sound awful for a grade?

Class one is sight-singing and ear-training. Possibly one of the easiest classes of my music career the first time around... but I never went to class. You see, it was at 9:30 in the A.M. and I thought it was WAY too early for my sensitive peepers to open. HA! Now I have an 8:30 French class which is really kicking my behind. How the heck am I supposed to know what an imperfect verb is in French when I have no idea what it is in English? The answer? Study.. yay.
Anyway... I have only been late to my sight-singing class once (go me!) and I'm passing with flying colors. Too bad I couldn't figure that out 2 years ago huh?
*The moral? Get your lazy rump out of bed and get to class! It's much easier to pass it the first time around. Sounds pretty mature eh? eh?

Class two is Library Science. I took it online last semester and obviously did not succeed. I forgot to turn in two assignments until the day after they were due and the professor gave me 0 credit. Who does that? It was an honest mistake and he told me... verbatim..." I don't see how you can "forget" to turn in an assignment." Yes well, I did and it was actually pretty easy.
Then he gave me less than half on my last assignment because I wasn't detailed enough. Oh and it was worth like 80% of our grade. No joke.
Let me tell you, I was pretty upset. I may or may not have used a few choice words. But I've repented so it's all good.
Now, I'm taking the same class (different professor... thank goodness) and I've received 100% on EVERY assignment. AND I even turned one in late.. oops! But he said it was fine and he understood. However, I've looked back on my previous work and it is slightly embarressing. I can't believe I even turned it in!
*Moral: Do the work right the first time and keep everything in a planner so you won't forget assignments.

I'm also the Vocal Pedagogy Intern (try saying that 5 times fast) this semester and I love it!
But now I get to see what the professors deal with in our master class.
*master class is where all students in the vocal department sing for their peers and a guest teacher to be critiqued in front of everyone. Pretty intimidating if I do say so myself.*
Back to the story... I have had to line up all the guest teachers and deal with all the complaining students. "I don't want to sing for them! They don't do a good job." or " I don't agree with what they said at all!" Which makes me want to reply with... "SUCK IT UP!!" or you know...the nicer version " They had really good points and I thought they were really helpful and brought out great qualities in your voice!"
I used to be one of the complainers. I would complain for hours and be resentful towards the teachers for a long time. I always used to think that if someone was to critique me they needed to tread softly. I'm a bed of roses and I trample easily.
Now? Give it to me straight. No tip-toeing around.
Yes, I still have feelings and harsh critiques still sting but it's nothing I can't handle. They help me in the long run. They make me want to improve so that the next time I sing for them I've improved and shown them I can perform well. In your face!! Ahem... I mean... See? I can improve.
*Moral: Complaining gets you nowhere fast. All it does is give you negative energy. Instead, if I'm upset I try to look at the positive side of things and turn the negative energy into.. well, positive energy. It makes me work harder and improve faster. Why didn't I learn this sooner?
This is getting long so I'll just keep my life lessons short from now on. :)

*Making excuses also gets you nowhere. I am a master at making excuses. I need to (wo)man up, take responisibility and be honest with myself for things I did or did not do when I am not proud of the consequences. For example..
Me: " I didn't get my assignment done..."
Prof: "Why?"
 Me: "Well, I watched a movie and chose not to do it."
Um.. scary!
This way I actually get my stuff done so I don't have that scary conversation with a professor.

*Life is fun and make time to laugh! It's no fun being angry or stressed all the time. Smile during rough times and pray everyday and everything comes together in the end.

*Learn to say NO. I'm awful at this. If someone asks me to do something and I'm already booked full... I'll still say yes and then stress about everything until it's done. When my plate is already overflowing, it's okay to say no. (This one is hard, I'm a people pleaser!)

I'm sure this has been oh so educational for all you readers (if there are any left after this gigantic post) about my completely thrilling life. But, this is more for me than anyone else. I have found that writing is therapeutic for me and I don't do it nearly often enough. I can get these thoughts out of my head and re-read them later so I can remember everything ( or feel embarressed about them.. you know) and it helps me think things through more thoroughly. ( Was that an alliteration or something else? I can't remember..)

This blog is partly a journal... and partly for reactions.

I'm a people pleaser... remember?

1 Comments:

Kate said...

Ha I loved your 'long' post. Very informative life lessons here!